Saturday, January 31, 2009
Welcome Tater!

Kotah has wanted a certain pet for a very long time. So yesterday her wish finally came true. We went to the pet store and she got Tater - a Russian tortoise.


Tater is a land turtle and boy was she expensive. And by expensive I mean $120 expensive. I said that I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on a turtle but I did. And yes I know I'm a sucker. But after weighing the options between an aquatic turtle and a land turtle the costly land turtle won out.

I figured all you needed for an aquatic turtle was a tank with some water and a rock for it to climb onto. Yeah well I was wrong. The tank had to be at least 40 gallons. It needed a heat and light lamp and a water filtration system becuase they poop so much. Even with the filter the water had to be changed a few times a week. And their diet? Crickets! The cost of an aquatic turtle - approximately $20/$25. It's housing about $350. The cost of the turtle was great. It was the rest of it that bothered me.

Even though the land turtle was costly everything else was a better deal. Smaller tank,no water filter,no crickets. They basically have to have a heat and light source,food and water dishes and a log to hide in. Bark is used for their bedding. Their diet consists of fruits and vegetables. And the tank is only 20 gallons.


Tater is a girl - supposedly. How do you really tell? Kotah thought she knew and said she was a boy but the guy at the pet store said it was a girl. Whatever! Kotah has played with her all day today. She has brought her out a few times to roam around the livingroom. I thought that turtles moved very slowly but apparently no one told that to Tater. She can move! Kotah loves her. She's so happy to finally have her and I am happy that I was able to get her for Kotah.

Labels:


Blogged at 9:53 PM - 3 comments



I'm Charmed
I am a proud wife and an extremely proud mother of 4 beautiful children.I spend a great deal of time with my Gram.I love playing with my kids.I love quiet nites with my husband.I love my alone time.I do not like being taken advantage of. I don't like selfish people or people that have to be dramatic 24/7......
Read more about me..

Previous Post
- No More Buick
- And......I'm Back!
- Proud Mama
- Happy Halloween!
- NFL Weeks 7 & 8
- A Nite with Collin
- Reconnecting
- NFL Week 6
- NFL Week 5
- NFL Week 4


Spells


My Innocents



Book of Shadows

- April 2007 - May 2007 - June 2007 - July 2007 - August 2007 - September 2007 - October 2007 - November 2007 - December 2007 - January 2008 - February 2008 - March 2008 - April 2008 - May 2008 - June 2008 - July 2008 - August 2008 - September 2008 - October 2008 - November 2008 - January 2009 - February 2009 - March 2009 - October 2010 -